Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

Problem getting and maintaining and erection

Customer Question

problem getting and maintaining and erection
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** I am reviewing your question and will get back to you with an answer ASAP!!Can you answer a couple of questions, do you have any other medical conditions or are you on any medications?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later

Now erectile dysfunction is a very common issue which afflicts males above the age of 60. There are several causes for ED which can include problems with the circulation or narrowing of the blood vessels. Usually the cause is an underlying pre existing disease like diabetes, high cholesterol level, hypertension etc. In addition prostate problems can also lead to the development of this problem. Now coming to teh treatment, apart from viagra there are several other options which are available,

Drugs - If viagra doesnt work then there are other medications which can be tried such as,

• Tadalafil (Cialis)
  • Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
  • Avanafil (Stendra)

Injections - if oral medications fail to work then there is an option for you to use injections which can be injected by yourself at home. They have a high success rate and provide erections whenever needed. The most often used medications include alprostadil, papaverine, and phentolamine.

Alprostadil urethral suppository. - Alprostadil intraurethral (Muse) therapy involves placing a tiny alprostadil suppository inside your penis in the penile urethra. This allows you to get an erection whenever needed and is also effective in those cases where other treatments dont work

Testosterone replacement - If your testosterone levels are low, then replacement of these can lead to erections without even the use of medications.

Surgery - lastly if nothing works then surgery can be done, which can be vascular surgery if the blood vessels are blocked or a penile implant can be placed in severe refractory cases.

In short, i would recommend that you first have your doctor determine the cause for your ED and once that is done, you can try using the injections if the drugs dont work. in most cases treating the underlying cause can help reverse the ED.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/