Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

My bun/ creatinine ratio is 40. My urea nitrogen is 32. I am

Customer Question

My bun/ creatinine ratio is 40. My urea nitrogen is 32. I am 83. Is this a bad sign
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Taking Lotrel for hi blood pressure and crestor
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Seem to be I. Good health but I'm concerned about this although my Dr never mentioned it. It was on my lab report
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Well a BUN/Creatinine ratio of 40 is certainly a high reading HOWEVER with a BUN of 32 and in the absence of an elevated creatinine (which i assume is normal since you have not mentioned it), i would consider these abnormal readings to be likely due to dehydration. Simple dehydration can cause the BUN to rise as well as the ratio and once you are adequately hydrated , a repeat test would show normal values. So i would NOT consider this a bad sign at the moment, simply because you are in good health, have no urinary symptoms liek dark colored urine, decreased urine output etc. I think if you adequately hydrate yourself with water and get the test repeated it will turn out to be normal. Many patients who are dehydrated can have this transiently abnormal BUN and ratio.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this too high and what does it mean

This is NOT too high, it means that teh kidneys were not getting enough blood. The likely cause for this as i said is dehydration which means that you did not have enough water in your system which in turn caused the problem. Drinking more water will improve the situation and help bring down the levels to normal. This is NOT anything serious.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this too high
Is this too high

This is NOT too high.

Are you getting my answers?