DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
24257177

I am a 40yr old circumcised male. A week ago I started

Customer Question

I am a 40yr old circumcised male. A week ago I started experiencing painful urination, best described as a sharp pain at the beginning of the flow right at the bottom of the urethra. I have not experienced any urgency or frequent urination, have no discharge nor am I running any fever. I began taking Cipro three days ago and nothing has changed. What are the possibilities that could be causing this?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Sharp pain at the beginning of flow is usually due to debris lodged at the membranous urethra (the narrowest part of the male urethra). This is where you say the pain is as well.

Ciprofloxacin not making a difference, no fever and no frequency of urination are sufficient to rule a UTI out.

I would suggest that you start drinking a lot of water to keep the urine diluted and yourself hydrated since dehydration can cause debris to lodge in the urinary tract. I also recommend that you see your PCP for a urinalysis and an examination to rule out UTI and also confirm any sedimentation (debris) in the urine.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

Hello

I am a double board certified US doctor and will help.

I have a different answer.

UTI can not be ruled out.

Lack of fever and failure of cipro indicate that cipro is not the correct antibiotic. It is over used.

There is a great amount of resistance to cipro.

Prostate infection is also likely. Prostate infection would not responds to 3 days of any antibiotic; it often takes 2 weeks.

You need a urine culture, a urinalysis is not adequate at this point.

Get this done today, and antibiotics should be changed.

Probably doxycicline.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
May I ask if this condition is likely to resolve without treatment?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for reply.

Yes it can resolve without treatment in case of simple debris lodged at urethra by increasing the fluid intake and keeping yourself well hydrated. However as i mentioned earlier if it does not resolve it is better to see your PCP for a urinalysis , c/s and an examination to rule out UTI and also confirm any sedimentation (debris) in the urine. Raspberry juice can help.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 3 months ago.

Hi.

Urinary track infections can become kidney infections if left with inadequate treatment.

Do not wait on a culture and change of antibiotic.

This has already been some time, and I suggest urgent care now.

Find me, Dr. Thomas, a double board certified US doctor, anytime, for correct, safe and up to date answers.

Please click a positive rating.