Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

What might cause blood in my semen?

Customer Question

what might cause blood in my semen?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Blood in the semen is called hematospermia. This condition though alarming, is a very common symptom, and is most commonly due to inflammation within the male reproductive tract (prostate or seminal vesicles), but can also be due to infection. Also in most cases no further diagnostic workup is needed, however, in some patients, hematospermia may be the first indicator of other urologic diseases. Therefore you need to consult with your doctor and your doctor will just do a physical examination to rule out other serious causes.

Hematospermia often resolves on its own, but even one episode of bleeding into the seminal fluid will take a few weeks to clear up completely.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating if you are satisfied by clicking 5 stars. Reply if you need a clarification.