Dr. David, MD
Experience:  Experienced physican in Urology

I have had calcium kidney stones for over 20 years and have

Customer Question

I have had calcium kidney stones for over 20 years and have had two surgeries. My urologist recently retired and I saw another one. I had two CT scans within one month as I had been passing a 6.7mm stone in the right distal ureter. Luckily it broke and I was able to pass two parts of it: one was 3 mm and the other 2.5. The last CT scan indicated that I had a 5.2 that was near the bladder. I was set to have it surgically removed in two weeks. However, it passed this morning to my relief. The CT scan did show I have a small 3 mm one on the left side. However, there is no pain, no hydronephrosis. When I called the new urologist and asked to have the surgery canceled, he wanted to go ahead with anyway and go up both ureters and into the kidneys to see if there were other stones. I was appalled as I have never heard of anything like this before. I canceled the surgery and also the practice. He did not want to do any other kind of imaging to see if the stone on the left was still there but insisted on the surgery even after knowing the stone passed. Have you heard of anything like this. I just want the ureter to heal now. He offered no ways to help that either and didn't want to see the stone.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, I have heard of this before

urologist make their big money doing surgery

when surgeries are canceled they loose money.

unfortunately, a lot of doctors run their practice like a business.

and urology doctors are making less today than before.

you should see if you can find another urologist.

it can be difficult as many urologist have formed larger and larger groups to stay afloat.

you may have to travel to a larger city to find another urology group.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the input. It saves a lot of heartache as well as pain an suffering.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using