Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis

I have been diagnosed with 7 calcium kidney stones located

Customer Question

Hi, I have been diagnosed with 7 calcium kidney stones located in both kidneys about 5mm each. They are causing me massive discomfort and even though my urologist claim that it is not possible to have pain from the stones unless they are moving I know my body well and know that it is the actual stones that are causing the constant pain which was the reason I saw the doctor in the first place. I have now scheduled Lithotripsy to have as many as possible removed and I am wondering if there are any other ways to have them removed? What I have read there seem to be a potential for some not so great complications with this procedure. What are the risks with and are the risks worth going through with the procedure? The discomfort is driving me absolutely nuts and I would like to get rid of these stones at once. //Nina
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well lithotripsy generally speaking is a very safe procedure the complications occur very infrequently but there is certainly a risk of them occurring. Usually the risk is less than 1% in most cases. The complications which can occur are the following,

Bleeding around the kidney

Obstruction of the urinary tract by stone fragments

Stone fragments left that may require more lithotripsies

Now whether you should gpo through with the procedure or not, i would recommend that you DO go through with the procedure the reason being that you have multiple stones present in both kidneys, although they are not causing an obstruction in the flow of the urine at the moment, they can at any point which can lead to damage to the kidneys in the long run. Secondly since you are in pain it is imperative that the stones be taken care of so that your pain can be controlled. While it is true that pain usually occurs when the stones move through the urinary system, it can occur without them moving as well. One more thing i would like to point out is that since you have calcium stones, it would be wise to get a parathyroid hormone level done if it hasnt been already to determine what is the cause of the repeated stone formation. In addition looking in RTA type I as a cause would be recommended as well.

But in short i would recommend that you do go ahead with the procedure. The risk is very small as compared to the benefits of the procedure. There are other ways to remove them including surgery and basket removal but those would be implemented if the stones were larger in size and present just below the kidney, it wouldnt be wise to go directly into the kidney via surgery to remove stones this small. Only if theye were larger in size and causing damage to the kidney would surgery be recommended, lithotripsy is the best option, along with alkanization of urine.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.