DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.

I recently stopped taking Effexor 250mg and around the same

Customer Question

I recently stopped taking Effexor 250mg and around the same time started having incontince issues. Could they be related?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I'm taking Lamictal & a tiny bit of prozac. I have been to a doctor and my physiology is very normal. Ultra sound normal, the test where they put a camera through the urethra and the bladder was normal.
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: It started a few months ago and I would say it's acute.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm a camera operator for a living (meaning I carry a heavy camera and do physical work a lot) and have had lower back pain issues.
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the question.

This would not typically be related.

Incontinence has identifiable physical reasons in almost all cases.

Rarely in an adult is it psychological.

In fact, this is a sign you need a complete work up, medically and urologically.

For example, a bladder problem, a hormonal problem, a structural problem: all are possible.

I would see an internist, then a urologist if needed.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here