Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

I have a slightl irritated foreskin - I went swimming in a

Customer Question

Hi. i have a slightl irritated foreskin - I went swimming in a chlorinated pool 4 days ago, which i rarely do, and then had sex with my pregnant wife for the 1st time in 6 weeks! And that was quite stop-start so I wonder maybe I've just managed to irritate it a bit? I was wondering if either of those explanations make sense, and what I should do? It's not TERRIBLE, maybe just feels like a tiny dose of thrush, no pain in urinating and my wife says she feels fine.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: er, hard to say exactly. I noticed a little irritation under the foreskin on Friday but ignored it, then notice a little itchy feeling today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. I do sometimes get thrush, or rather have had it in the past.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 9 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Can you upload a picture?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure. won't be a second...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just transferring it now
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I think I just did two - one with foreskin not retracted and one with it pulled back. Quite hard to see but the issue is round the foreskin, I think - the flash makes everything stand out a bit more than it would in 'normal' light - it doesn't 'look' that red normally.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, just checking to see if you're still there?

Yes, that does look like a fungal infection.

I would recommend using clotrimazole 1% twice daily for 1-2 weeks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. So, it's the sort of thing I might catch from my wife? She has no symptoms, though I am aware that vaginal yeasts / vaginal environment can change during pregnancy (she is 17 weeks).

It is unlikely that transmission occurs sexually but it can happen.

Either way, it is not harmful to the pregnancy and can also be treated topically in pregnant women as well should she develop any symptoms.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks. Well, I wonder how I got it! Maybe just through drinking alcohol and easting sugar (as I have a bit recently) and / or the chlorinated swimming pool irritating it? I've read that pregnant women can get yeast infections without knowing it.

They can develop simply from sweating excessively and are more common in uncircumcised men.

Yes they are common in pregnant women but as I said transmission is not common.

Don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!

Is there anything else I can help you with?