Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Can a torn bladder sphincter muscle be restored. A gp tore

Customer Question

can a torn bladder sphincter muscle be restored. A gp tore my sphincter muscle six years ago He was fitting me with a catheter at the time. Have been totally incontinent since. I have tried bladder sling and also an artificial smuscle but neither have worked I am still totally incontinent after six years. I badly need help.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 months ago.
No, unfortunately, the damage sphincter muscle cannot be repaired. The only way to restore your urinary continents is to surgically place an artificial urinary sphincter. This is an inflatable pump device that is in planted around the urethra. A pump is placed in the scrotum. Every time you want to urinate, you have to push the pump to open the cuff to allow the urine to leave the bladder. You will need to see a urologist in order to consider having this surgery done. Hope this helps and let me know if you have further questions.