Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

What does high level of Creatinine mean in a urine test?

Customer Question

Wondering what it means to have high level of creatinine in a urine test?
Additional Information: I take blood pressure pills and thyroid medication. I am sluggish, I guess lots on the go with summer. I turned 50 and menstral periods have stopped within the past few months
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.
Have you also had blood tests? Do you know what your serum creatinine level is?Why did your doctor order the urine test?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is that the trading under general chemistry! Creatinine if so the level is 3.6 also high reading in urine was C reactive protein which was 13.7. Doc sent for tests because I am starting a new weight loss program. I have Hashimoto thyroid disease as well
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hashimotos is an autoimmune/autoinflammatory disorder of the thyroid gland. This may be why your CRP is so high. On the other hand, multiple autoimmune conditions tend to co-exist in some individuals. You may have an autoimmune process damaging your kidneys. When this happens, the kidneys begin to slowly fail and creatinine builds up in the bloodstream. There is often protein spilling into the urine as well. These are indications that you need to see a kidney specialist (nephrologis) if you haven't already.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I seen one a long time ago because I had a kidney stone but it was high up in the kidney and he felt it was fine. But you think I should call him again for further testing. Wonder if I could have something else going on? I fell last Novembet and still have some issues since my fall with my knees and legs that took the brunt on my fall my legs were terribly swollen for months after but put it down to the fall maybe it wasn't that at that was causing the swelling
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.
Damaged muscles release an enzyme (myoglobin) that can damage the kidneys, so its possible the two are related. When it comes to the kidneys, however, you do not want to guess. Call the specialist and set up an appointment. Kidney disease can be managed and slowed if the underlying causes are found early. If kidney damage continues, it can lead to total renal failure and the need for lifetime dialysis.