Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis

I haven't had a period in over 10 years. I am 62 years old.

Customer Question

I haven't had a period in over 10 years. I am 62 years old. I thought I was having a bladder infection. I drank cranberry juice with cream of tartar as I have used in the past. Just now I urinated and noticed that there is blood on the toilet paper. Shall I be concerned? I still feel the burning sensation when I urinate.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the presence of blood in the urine is a concerning sign as it can indicate a number of things. But the most likely cause here is a complicated urinary tract infection. This can cause burning while urinating, dark colored urine, foul odor to teh urine, lower abdominal pain or even back pain. This would need to be diagnosed with a urine examination and culture which would be followed with antibiotics. Antibiotics are necessary to treat this problem. It is even possible that the infection has travelled to the bladder and is causing inflammation of the bladder which is known as cystitis. The treatment again would be with antibiotics.

Another cause of the blood in the urine can be kidney stones or even bladder stones which would cause more severe pain in the abdomen alongwith burning urination. An abdominal ultrasound would diagnose this problem easily.

Now i would strongly suggest that you have this evaluated by your doctor as soon as possible so that antibiotics can be started as soon as possible. In the meantime continue to drink as much water as you can.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.