Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

I have a swollen ring around my penis just below the head

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Can you attach a picture here?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok?

Thank you for the pictures, Ill compose my answer now. Just give me a few minutes.

Well from the pictures this is clearly an infection and i believe that you may have developed balanitis which is an infection of the head of the penis which can extend down into the shaft as well. This can be fungal in nature which seems to be the case here or even bacterial infection. in some cases this would lead to development of other symptoms as well like burning urination as well as increased frequency and discharge of pus from the penis.

But from the looks of things it is likely to be a fungal infection, use OTC antihistamines to bring down the swelling like benadryl or zyrtec. OTC clotrimazole cream may also be helpful but i would DEFINITELY suggest a visit to your doctors office for a complete evaluation and testing to eliminate other causes of the swelling including STDs. You might need oral antifungals or antibiotics and i would definitely suggest that you visit your doctor ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would you recommend that I see a PC doctor, a urologist or a dermatologist?

Your PCP to start with, he can usually manage these conditions with use of antibiotics/antifungals and can also order the initial tests. once he has narrowed down the causes or if he is unable to manage it, then you can be referred to a urologist. But in most cases, your PCP would be able to manage this just fine.please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Any other queries regarding your current condition?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think I should try to use both hydrocortisone and clotrimazole at the same time?
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

No i dont, only clortrimazole but i would also recommend a doctors appointment so he can make sure whether you need oral antifungals or not, the swelling is quite bad and i think you might need more than OTC treatment.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars,preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am notcompensated for my time. You cancontinue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You canalso ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,