Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

About 2 months ago I was dealt a blow to the scrotum while

Customer Question

About 2 months ago I was dealt a blow to the scrotum while playing floor hockey. Immediately i dropped in pain as any man would if under the same circumstances. The pain subsided within 5 seconds and I got up and resumed playing. Since then my balls have always been sore, and my shaft has shrunk a a good inch or so. I was wondering if these are symptoms of a possible varicocele as I have read on other sites that varicocele can affect testosterone levels which may be the reason for all the shrinking.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 6 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

With a history of significant trauma, the most likely cause of pain and shrinkage is scarring either directly of the testis or of the nerves/blood vessels.
Varicoceles are caused by problems with venous drainage at the level of the kidney and may or not be currently present and maybe have been there before the injury. A varicocele is not generally caused by a testicular injury.

I would recommend getting a testicular ultrasound as soon as you can to get a good idea of what's going on whether it's a varicocele or something else.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

On a standard urine drug test both of them are detected as their metabolites and since they are both in the same class of medications they will be unable to differentiate from the two.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If it happens that it is scarring of the testis, is there any treatment or surgery to repair?

It all depends on the extent of the scarring which is difficult to say without the ultrasound results.

If the vasculature is affected then it's unlikely that any surgery or treatment would help but if it's something else, it's possible.

Is there anything else I can help you with?