Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician / Family Practice
Experience:  I have 14 years experience in Family Practice which includes the treatment of most co
13781349

My dr did a urine test UTI. The test came back negative to

Customer Question

Hello
My dr did a urine test for a UTI. The test came back negative to infection but had white cells in the urine. He asked me to do the urine test again. He saud he wasn't worried. What are the causes of white blood cells in urine when there is no infection?
Should I be concerned? Also typically how long for the results to come in if they are not looking for an infection?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

The most common reason for white cells in the urine would be infection...low numbers of white cells might lead to ? Of the significance or the result....a URINE CULTURE is a stronger test to prove infection or not ....

Usually a UTI -- urine culture typically shows bacterial growth of 50,000 cfu/ml or higher .....

White cells in low numbers may not be significant

It can at times be due to inflammatory disease of the kidneys too as possible ...

If Nitrites are positive on urinalysis then THAT would more support a UTI....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD