Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

I had a dipstick urine test done and it indicated 30 mg/dl

Customer Question

I had a dipstick urine test done and it indicated 30 mg/dl of protein. The other numbers were in order. The doctor did not seem too concerned. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I went to the doctor because I suspected a UTI infection. However, the urine sample was clear. I am taking Cymbalta, Anafranil, Ativan and Ambien. I have been dealing with a very intense panic/anxiety disorder for the last 9 months or so and have been extremely anxious during this time. Could stress cause the protein number to be higher than normal?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been very healthy (55 yr old female) except for dealing with this intense anxiety depression issue over the last 10 months. A number of other anti-depressants were tried and I am still working on the correct medications to treat this disorder. Other than the 4 mentioned meds, I only take Vitamin D and Flaxseed oil every day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Urologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Dr Stan here to help you today. You need an additional test called a microalbuminuria as a follow up to see if there is a problem. It could be that you exercised before the urine test, which could elevate the protein level. Hypertension and diabetes can also increase the protein level, so if you have not been diagnosed with these, there is little to worry about. I hope this is helpful and the follow up test is normal. The medications you take do not elevate protein levels in the urine. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. I am compensated only after you provide a positive rating of 3-5 stars.