Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm 55 and post menopausal. It's 120 in Arizona where I live

Customer Question

I'm 55 and post menopausal. It's 120 in Arizona where I live and I've been having dehydration problems which include confusion and cramping. I've been sweating more than ever in my life. It's clean sweat and it's all over. It's not leftover menopausal sweats but the water is just sucked out of me. I'm drinking a ton more than I usually drink which is about a half gallon daily. I just started drinking Pedialite yesterday and today I had brown flakes in my urine. Not a lot but they are distinc flakes not brownish urine. Anything I should do?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No. I take several - Armour thyroid, Zoloft, Gabapentin and some hormones. Also clonazepan but nothing is new as I've been on the same meds for the last year.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am relatively active and healthy. I'm not overweight nor do I drink or smoke for the last 5 years. I am under tremendous stress helping to care for my mother who is dying slowly and in pain.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I don't have pain other than aging aches. My mother has extreme pain not me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Urologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If there are brown flakes in the urine, it would be appropriate for you to see your doctor to have a urinalysis. Brown flakes may be due to blood in the urine and dehydration is not a common cause of blood in the urine, although it may make small amounts of blood in the urine more noticeable because of concentrated urine. There are benign causes of blood in the urine, such as exercise, particularly strenuous exercise. However, there are many other conditions that warrant treatment that can cause blood in the urine. The most common would be an infection, but also could be related to kidney stones, inflammation of the kidneys or other locations in the urinary tract, or growths in the urinary tract. If there is a possibility of blood in the urine, it would be appropriate to be seen by your doctor to first ascertain whether it is from blood, and if so, to determine the cause of the bleeding.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.