Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

What can I take pooping and urinating?

Customer Question

what can I take for not pooping and urinating?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask are you unable to pass urine as well as being unable to pass stools? Can you pass gas? DO you have abdominal pain? Any other medical conditions or medications that you might be on? Any urinary symptoms like burning etc?

Since you are offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

If you have difficulty in passing stools and GAS as well as abdominal pain, then you would have to go to teh ER or the urgent care center to get an abdominal xray done. This could be due to intestinal obstruction in some cases. This would be diagnosed in the ER and may be treated conservatively or with surgery in some cases.

Similarly, if the the inability to urinate is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen as well as tenderness in the area then you would need to have an ultrasound done before using any drugs. This could be due to urinary retention because of an enlarged prostate or even an infection in the bladder. this would be treated with passage of a catheter.

now if you dont have these symptoms then you can be treated with OTC stool softeners like colace or docusate which will help you in passing stools. This can be supplemented by increasing the water intake which would help in softening the stools even further. Another thing which can be done is use of OTC fiber supplements such as benefiber and metamucil. If these dont help then stronger drugs like miralax can be used as well to counter constipation.

However if the problem has been present for more than 2 days, then it is advisable to go to the urgent care center/ER as this can be due to blockage of the intestines by hard stool. And you might need a manual evacuation of the rectum in some cases. This can lead to intestinal obstruction in some cases as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

WoWould you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can ask followup questions after the rating.