DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.

I have a burning sensation when I urinate and the tip of my

Customer Question

I have a burning sensation when I urinate and the tip of my penis is red. Blood and urine tests were negative for Chlamydia, gonorhea, and herpes. I don't know if its bacterial and wasn't caught by test. I was given oral anti-biotics in doc's office and a shot four days ago but it's not getting any better.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? Is this your first time reaching out for information about it?
Customer: 5 days.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well, I had the std tests because I thought that was a possibility.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Urologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

Have you been doing risky sexual activity?

How long ago did you have the oral antibiotics and shot?

Are you worried about HIV? Were you tested?

Do you have a picture of the red area?

Have you noticed any discharge in your underwear or when urinating?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 4 months ago.

If they did not send a urine culture, then you did not have the complete test for other bacteria that can infect the bladder, or the prostate gland.

After four days of antibiotics you should be getting better.

I suggest you do the following.

Have the doctor do a urinalysis and also send the sample for culture AFTER you have a prostate exam.

This will possibly show more bugs.

Prostate infection can take longer to respond to antibiotics as well.

Also, the type of antibiotic is important. Cipro and Bactrim have a lot of resistance.

I would immediately switch to doxycicline.

I am a double board certified US clinical doctor. Find me by request for fast, comprehensive, safe and up to date answers.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here