Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I did a urine culture test and results came back with

Customer Question

Hi Doc, i did a urine culture test and results came back with elevated WBC and traces of RBC in it, along with epithelial cells. i have attached the test result as well if you need to take a look. 3 week later, that's yesterday, i went back for a follow up and did a dipstick test and came up with high WBC counts too, i have no symptoms at all and not on any meds for now. no discomfort either. And today, again i went back to my local GP to ask for a referral to a Urologist but wasn't successful, instead, she did a vaginal swab and told me that it could be my vaginal infections thats causing the high WBC count. i'm a health freak and i'm worried about all those bladder or kidney cancers that started out with no symptoms too, i understand that its rare for my age (34 years old, female, Asian, non smoker) to have these kinda cancers, but i read online that there are more people around my age being diagnosed.should i seek a 2nd opinion since i'm being rejected for seeing a urologist?i did asked this question earlier on, but i think the doctor is offline for now.Thank you for your time.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer,

Why were the urine tests done when you did not have any symptoms? Did you have an ultrasound scan done?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Doc, it's just a routine health check up, and i do have slight urgency to urinate, but i would say it's not a symptom as i don't run to the toilet very frequently, on average about 2hrs or maybe more.thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not have an ultrasound done on my bladder or kidney.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically a count greater than 10 white blood cells (WBCs)/mL is considered abnormal in urine. However sometimes this may be due to contamination. This contamination may be diagnosed by the presence of numerous squamous epithelial cells in the urine. However along with the increased WBC the accompanying trace of blood and RBC in urine do suggest that there is an infection. To diagnose this please have a urine culture done.

Therefore I would suggest taking a second opinion.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Doc, i have already did my urine culture and also attached the result for you in my first message. just checking if it's normal to have traces of RBC in my test? should i be worried or concerned about it? thank you.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

You have had a urine routine test done and not urine culture. Yes it is normal to have up to 2 RBCs/hpf in a urine sample. Also having a transient increase in the RBC can be seen in young people. Therefore the next step for you is to have urine culture done and also have the urine routine repeated after one month to see whether the raised RBC count is persistent.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank You!

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

It was a pleasure answering your questions.

Thanks.