Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

My buttocks and groin area hurts and I'm lightheaded

Customer Question

My buttocks and groin area hurts and I'm lightheaded could it be my kidneys even though my blood work came back normal and I lost a lot of weight and muscle and feel sick
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you tell me do you have any urinary symptoms like frequency or burning? Any numbness or tingling in the buttocks or the legs? Any pain which radiates into the legs? Back pain? HAve any tests been done yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Numbness and I did blood work and it was normal legs hurt and feel weak and numb

thank you for the additional information

Now the back pain, buttocks and groin pain when considered in light of the numbness that you can have can be an indication of a problem with your lower back. this could be in the form of arthritis of the spine or even a disc prolapse in the spine. This can also cause burning, weakness or even paralysis in the legs. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a clinical examination alongwith xrays and MRI of the lower back. The treatment can be with painkillers or even steroid injections. Severe cases may need surgery.

The weakness and lightheadedness alongwith weight loss point more towards a systemic disorder. You should be investigated for hormonal issues. Addisons disease is a condition in which you would feel weak and lightheaded alongwith having a low blood glucose level and low blood pressure. Specific tests to look for cortisol levels in the blood would be diagnostic. Another cause can be a hidden malignancy. You should have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done, which should be preceded by a complete history and clinical examination to narrow down the site of the possible malignancy. If you havent gotten a ESR done, you should do so now.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you go to an internist and have him consider autoimmune disorders, hormonal issues including thyroid problems and malignancy as a cause for your weakness whereas the pain would have to be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

One more thing which can explain all of these symptoms would be MS, especially if you also have blurring of vision, headaches etc. This would need a MRI of the spine and a MRI of the brain to be diagnosed.

A kidney problem should have shown up either on an abdominal USG or on the blood work or even on the urine routine examination, so it is unlikely to be due to the kidneys.

Would you like to know anything else?