Dr. David, MD
Experience:  Experienced physican in Urology
41363181

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday.

Customer Question

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday. They are doing genetic testing on the biopsy tissue and we will get those results within three weeks. The urologist said it was caught early and the cancer is contained within the prostate.
My husband wants to go ahead and have the Da vinci robotic surgery, unless the genetic testing proves it's a very slow growing type of cancer.
My husband was in a bad car wreck when he was 18 years old. His injuries resulted in a small area of his rectum being reconstructed with artificial tissue. After doing another rectal exam yesterday the doctor said he doesn't see any reason to believe he couldn't do the surgery. He said my husband may be at a slightly higher risk (like 10% chance) of damage to the rectum.
The question we didn't ask, but should have is this... is there a CT or MRI test or something prior to surgery which could assess the area for scar tissue, etc? Even if our insurance will not pay for any testing we are willing to pay out of pocket.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 5 months ago.

Hello.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you

Yes, MRI is the helpful investigation which can really say the presence or extent of scar tissue

My suggestion is go for MRI before undergoing surgery

Hope this helps

Request to leave a positive rating at the right corner of the page so that I'm compensated for the answer.

Best Regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Okay, are you a urologist? I thought it appeared on the screen when I decided to use JustAnswer that there were 2 Urologists online. I have a couple more questions, but would prefer to discuss them with a urologist.

Okay, please wait for the urologist to take over.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr David

I am a cancer doctor.

what is his PSA and Gleason score of his prostate cancer.

most likely he is getting a PNET genetic test on his prostate, correct?

usually scar tissue doesn't show up great on pelvic CT scan or even an MRI scan.

I suspect he will be able to do a DaVinci robot assisted laproscopic radical prostatectomy if he has to.

this most likely will be safer than external beam radiation therapy given his prior injury to his rectum from prior surgery.

the best evaluation of his rectum and prostate most likely is from a trans-rectal ultrasound which he most likely had when he had his prostate biopsies.

did the urologist see narrowing of his rectum during his transrectal ultrasound prostate biopsy procedure?