Dr. David, MD
Experience:  Experienced physican in Urology

My PSA jumped from 2.5 to 5.4 in 30 days. How concerned

Customer Question

My PSA jumped from 2.5 to 5.4 in 30 days. How concerned should I be? I am 70 years old with no history of prostate problems. My urologist wants to retest in 90 days. Is this too long?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

a quick jump up of your PSA levels in 30 days most commonly is due to prostatitis inflammation of your prostate which can be due to viral or bacterial infection, sexual activity, irritation of your prostate like long motorcycle or bike rides or tractor rides.

usually a doctor will give you a course of cipro antibitoics or no antibiotics and just repeat the PSA level in 1-2 months.

usually the follow up PSA levels go back down to baseline which means that rise was a temporary rise from prostatitis.

if your PSA continues to rise up at next blood test, then you may need a prostate exam and prostate biopsy to know for sure.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

do you have any other questions?