Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.

My question is regarding use of antibiotics post exposure :

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My question is regarding use of antibiotics post sexual exposure
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Ok. The question is: I had protected sex with a new partner. I started a z pack (500mg dose) and will take one a day for 3 days. Will it be effective in preventing the relevant stis or did I take it too soon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: The condom may have broken but not sure on that part. I had protected vaginal sex and relieved protected oral sex. I am a male
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

There is a problem with use of post exposure prophylaxis of STD in such a way.An antibiotic cannot protect against all STD because there are many different types of STD and antibiotics have no effect against viral or protozoal STD.

Such antibiotic use is not recommended after protected intercourse.

If the intercourse was potentially unsafe due to condom breakage and status of partner regarding STD is not known you need to visit STD clinic and have yourself checked for STD.

There are recommendations for antibiotic administration in women who have been assaulted sexually and these include use of multiple agents which can be taken with prescription only.

Z pack is inadequate in protecting against all STD and if you feel that you are at risk you would be beter off visiting a STD clinic and have proper treatment and evaluation.

This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am a male. If I am concerned about chalmidya, syphillis, and gonnorhea, isn't the prescribed treatment 1mg - 2 mg si for doze azithromycin?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 5 months ago.

The recommended treatment for gonorrhea is single shot therapy where one intramuscular injection of ceftriaxone 250mg intra muscular and 1 gram of Azithromycin PO is given.

Chlamydia can also be treated by single dose of 1 gm of azithromycin PO.

Treatment of syphilis requires 2 gm single dose of azithromycin PO.

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any more questions regarding this.

If done do take a moment to rate my answer.You can always come back if you have any more questions egarding the issue.