Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Dr.
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I had a elevated RDW on blood test and trace blood on urinalysis.

Customer Question

I had a elevated RDW on blood test and trace blood on urinalysis. Severe swelling of ankles. Does this point to kidney cancer
JA: Anything in this area seems awkward and painful so I really trust our Expert will find a solution for you fast. Please give me a bit more information, so the Urologist can help you best.
Customer: This is all the information I have
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Urologist should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Urologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Raised RDW and blood on urine analysis are nonspecific and can have many causes.Blood in the urine can be commonly due to a urine infection or a stone in the urinary tract.Cancer of the bladder is a cause but an uncommon one.The best thing to do is to be investigated further with a CT scan or an ultrasound of your urinary tract to have a look at your kidneys, ureter and bladder and to have these and other causes considered and then proceed accordingly.So even though cancer is a possibility but it is an unlikely possibility as far as I am concerned.Thank you for the additional information.I think that your stomach could have gone a bit lazy which in medical terms is called as gastroparesis.In addition to omeprazole or a medication to reduce acid, I would have definitely also started you on something like reglan 10 mg three times a day prior to your meals to help increase the movements of your stomach.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards