DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
24257177

I have a creatinine level of .98 and a BUN of 28 ratio

Customer Question

I have a creatinine level of .98 and a BUN of 28 for a ratio of 29. I am on a high protein diet due to liver disease, what do I do with this info and how do I move forward.
JA: The Urologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Urologist should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Urologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Are you worried about your BUN levels? Because the creatinine is within normal limits.Let me know.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 7 months ago.
HelloThe ratio is meaningless. That is not a problem.The problem here is a high protein diet, if animal protein.This is toxic to both the liver and the kidneys in the long run.A vegetable protein diet only protects both. Or, vegetable protein only plus some fish.At this point you need a nutrient dense, anti inflammatory diet.The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.I am a double board certified US doctor. Over 20 years of clinical experience. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/