Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.

I have left flank pain that comes in waves. It will seem ok

Customer Question

I have left flank pain that comes in waves. It will seem ok and then a stabbing pain occurs, mainly when I am walking or getting up from a chair. It only hurts for a few seconds and then stops and starts again a few seconds later. My urinalysis, sonogram, blood, and CT scan were clear. Ultram and diclofenac aren't touching this pain. What could it be?  Is it possible that stones were missed in the scan? I have had this happen before (it seems that it occurred only when I was dehydrated) but it would resolve in a day after drinking LOTS of water and resting in bed. What is this?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 5 months ago.
Hi,I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced Physician attending youThe pain you are explaining is typical of kidney stones.Yes, there are chances that stones can be missed in scans.It is a spasmodic pain what you are having.T. Buscopan can decrease the spasmodic painRepeat the scans after few weeks, say 6 to 8 weeks from the date of previous scan.Keep drinking lot of fluids/water.Any doubts ask me, or request to leave a positive rating, only then I'm compensated for the answer.Best Regards
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you a urologist?
General Physician experienced in urology
Hi, Julie, I request to leave a posiitve rating, so that I'm compensated for my time/answerBest Regards