Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I had a pelvic floor repair 6 weeks ago. I am in urinary retention.

Customer Question

I had a pelvic floor repair 6 weeks ago. I am in urinary retention. I am under evaluation by the urologist. I have had Foley catheters with intermittent episodes of self catheterizing. My GP put in a Foley catheter this afternoon ( he has done this several times over the past 6 weeks) and I am finding it uncomfortable, I am not sure if I should take it out. I am concerned it could be in the wrong place. I feel the urge to urinate. The urine flow appears fine. I took pyridium earlier but it hasn't helped much. Is this just irritation from the Foley or should I take it out because it could be damaging me if it is uncomfortable like this? Thank you!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.
You should not take it out yet. The sensations you are having are bladder spasms from the Foley causing irritation. You need to let your doctor know and they can prescribe a medication called oxybutynin to stop the spasms while the catheter is in. Hope this helps.