Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Did I pass a kidney stone?Yesterday afternoon, I down

Customer Question

Did I pass a kidney stone?Yesterday afternoon, I laid down to take a nap. Within five minutes, I started with what felt like severe gas pains (but only on my left side) and a strange, sharp feeling in my urethra. My lower left back started hurting, and it hurt worse and worse by the minute. I was to the point where I was on all fours trying to stretch and move so my back wouldn't hurt. It was so intense. My lower left abdomen continued to hurt as well. I finally had to pee, and when I did, nothing unusual happened - no burning, no pain, and nothing (that I could see or find, at least) came out while I was urinating. The pain subsides within two or three minutes of urinating. I have no idea what happened but it was the strangest, most intense thing I've ever experienced. I have a history of ovarian cysts - could this be the culprit instead??
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
There's no way to be sure exactly what this is just by your symptoms. Your symptoms could be a kidney stone but it could also be pain from an ovarian cyst. If the pain continues, then you need to get into the emergency room to have a CT scan done to differentiate the cause of the pain as well as an examination by A doctor. But if this was a one time pain advance, then this is more likely to be due to an ovarian cyst rather than a kidney stone. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it only happened once. All of it happened with 30-40 minutes.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This is more likely to be pain from a cyst then
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am now running 99.3 fever.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
That would be considered a low-grade fever. A true fever is over 101.5°F. If you continue to have pain in your fever still continues, you need to get to the emergency room for an a valuation. You may need a CT scan to rule out a stone.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This can also be a kidney infection called pyelonephritis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm no longer in pain. I haven't been since everything happened yesterday.
I've just been kind of nauseous and tired. The low grade fever came on about an hour ago. I really don't think it's a kidney stone the more I think about it. I really feel it's an ovarian cyst. Can you tell me some of the things I should/could be feeling?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
With ovarian cyst, the pain is typically sharp and stabbing in the lower abdominal region. The pain can be very similar to a kidney stone though. But with a kidney stone, you should not just have one episode of pain and then it disappears. The pain would come and go in waves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it must have been a cyst. I'm just hoping I feel better soon. This is making me feel very panicky.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
I hope you feel better soon as well. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.