Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I took a home test and tested positive UTI (both a positive

Customer Question

I took a home test and tested positive for a UTI (both a positive leukocyte and nitrate result). The prescribing physician at an urgent care clinic put me on Cipro 250 mg every 12 hours for treatment for 3 days. I completed my course of antibiotics yesterday and took another home test to see if the bacteria has been eradicated. The results indicated I now have positive leukocytes (+500) but negative nitrate. Should I inform my PCP and remain on the course of antibiotics for 7 days to be safe?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
Are you male or female? How old are you? Is this the first time you have had a urinary tract infection?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am a female 24 years of age. The last time I had a urinary tract infection was as a child. This is the 2nd time in my life getting one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure if this information is necessary, but I am fairly confident the UTI was a result of not voiding following sex. Also, I am no longer experiencing symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
OK. This would be considered an uncomplicated UTI. If you don't have any symptoms, then you likely do not need any further antibiotics. The persistent leukocytes are common after a UTI because of the bladder inflammation. Leukocytes just indicate white blood cells in the urine bladder is inflamed. If you start to develop any burning again, then you should have a repeat urine culture done and you may need a longer course of antibiotics. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.