Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I am 65 yrs old and recently I have noticed I cannot hold my

Customer Question

I am 65 yrs old and recently I have noticed I cannot hold my urine... if I start thinking about using the restroom I'll start leaking out before I get to the bathroom , it's very embarrassing , I've had my prostate checked with in the past year it was OK my PSA is normal what do you think the problem is?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
The Most likely cause is prostate blockage from an enlarged prostate. Even if your prostate examination is normal, you can have growth on the inner part of the prostate that blocks the Duren channel. This cannot be felt on examination. It sounds to me like you're having problems with what is called overflow urinary incontinence. This is where your bladder become so full that you are not emptying her completely and then you leak the urine out. You need to get into see a urologist immediately for a bladder ultrasound to determine if this is the case. If it is, to be started on medication such as Flomax to relax your prostate to allow you to empty the bladder. If this does not work, then you may need to have surgery on your prostate open the prostate channel with the procedure such as a TURP. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
Sorry. Duren= urine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good reply, but not as timely as advertised...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One thing I did not understand, if there is a blockage of the urinary canal , why would I be "leaking" if my prostate is enlarged around the outlet canal ? One would think I would have just the opposite where I can't go when I want to go i.e. urinary urgency, slow dripping of urine. The reality of the problem is, is when my bladder is full it will start leaking out, as you say overflow urinary incontinence... I don't understand the mechanism behind that
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
Think of it like an overflowing bathtub. Your bladder is at full capacity now. Any additional urine that gets in the bladder causes more urine to spill out past your urinary sphincter. This is very common in men with overflow incontinence. Hope this helps and please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks for your patience as I am a practicing urologist trying to answer your questions between my own patients.