Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

About a year ago a white spot appeared on my penis head.

Customer Question

Hello! About a year ago a white spot appeared on my penis head. It's not raised at all, it's totally flat, and the only thing different is the color. No itches or anything. They disappear when the penis becomes more erect. As far I remember they just popped up from nowhere, can't remember that they emerged gradually.. After some time, smaller ones appeared, and others disappeared around the penis head. On the penis skin there's also one white spot, along with a larger area of skin with lighter color. The bottom side of the penis head is much brighter in color also...
After an ejaculation the whole penis head can usually look patchy with white spots.
I've tried canesten for 2 weeks (twice a day) because I thought it was fungi, but it didn't work so I don't know what to do. Here's an image to show you what it looks like:
Could it still be fungi? Or pigment problem, or some disease?
Please help!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
White spots on the penis are typically a fungal infection. But if you plied your medication and it did not help, this may just be skin pigment discoloration. The fact that it goes away during erections makes this more likely to be a skin pigment change. You may want to see a urologist for an up close examination to determine if you need a different antifungal such as Clotrimazole to see if this helps it go away. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thanks for your response! Yes, it disappears during erections, but after ejaculations the whole penis head can be a bit discolored even with erection. If it's a skin pigment change, what can I do about it then?Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
There is nothing that can be done about skin pigment changes. This is just he way your body is. This is not harmful to you. It's like a mole or birthmark on your body anywhere else
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright, I see. What can be the cause of skin pigment changes, also the fact that new spots have appeared and some have disappeared, wouldn't that suggest something else rather than pigment problems? Could it be something like lichen sclerosus or some other disease?Thank you again!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
If the white spots are coming and going, this could be a condition such as lichen sclerosus. In this case, you would need a topical steroid cream such as betamethasone to help this go away. You need to see a urologist for an examination to determine if this is what you have. This may require a biopsy to determine this. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again for your response. Here's a picture what it can look like after an ejaculation, then half of the penis head become very bright in color. Does this give any other clues?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
I looked at the photos. I do not see anything that looks abnormal or concerning at all.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okey! However, this is a new phenomena that has emerged along with the white spots... White spots suddenly appeared on the penis along with the underside of penis head getting a whiter color, and after ejaculation the underside of head becomes very light in color. Although during erection before ejaculation all of it as a normal red color. The photos do not show it as clearly as I see it in real life though.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 months ago.
This is exactly why you need to see a urologist for an up close examination in person. But white spots are typically either due to a fungal infection or lichen sclerosus or skin pigmentation changes.