Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  General Physician, PGCSD
6740150

My aunt is 53 years old. 3 years ago she was diagnosed with

Customer Question

My aunt is 53 years old. 3 years ago she was diagnosed with kidney stones in one of her kidneys. She was at India at the time and she wanted surgical intervention but was told the stones were too small for surgical intervention (0.85mm) .
Since then she has been drinking about 2 gallons of water a day in order to pass the stones but this has been unsuccessful as she's still experiencing pains. Now she's been told she's got kidney infection on the other kidney.
The kidney stone is 0.85mm in size. What treatment would you suggest she goes for? Can the stone that size be passed out in the urine without surgical intervention?
What treatment would you recommend for you with a kidney stone that size and also for the kidney infection?
She is trying to see what options she has so she will see if her insurance will cover her treatment here in THe United States.
Her only cormorbidity is HYpertension.Thank you!
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern Is she having any pain or discomfort during urination?Any recent ultrasound done?Any burning during urination?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has pain but I will have to confirm the rest of the answers from her and get back to you
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear customerThank you for the quick reply. Very small stones (like those that are less than ¼ inch or about 5 mm in size) usually can pass through the urinary tract and out of the body on their own with little or no pain.Your aunt's size of stone in one of the kidney was very very small of only 0.85 mm. This size of stone can easily pass through the urine. As she has been drinking about 2 gallons of water a day in order to pass the stones but this has been unsuccessful as she's still experiencing pains,a fresh ultrasound of her kidneys is required.(The last was done 3 years ago). It is quite possible that she is having the kidney/urinary tract infection without having the kidney stones.The culprit in at least 90% of uncomplicated urinary tract infections(UTI) is a type of bacteria called Escherichia coli, better know as E. coli. She need following tests: -Complete urine examination-X-rays-Ultrasound of KUB area If kidney/urinary tract infections(UTI) is confirmed by these tests,then antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly. So my best advise for your aunt is to make an appointment with doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly. Hope this helpedMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh