Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology. 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.

I suffer from Urinary Tract Infection on a regular basis. I

Customer Question

I suffer from Urinary Tract Infection on a regular basis. I am 72 years old and have had a hysterectomy and Bladder operation to correct wetting myself. I cannot understand why I keep getting this infection, I have been careful wiping myself after a bowel movement, so do not know what else to do. I look forward to your reply.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

There are a few things you can do to avoid / prevent UTIs.

You should void twice before going to bed with an interval of 15 to 20 minutes.

You should drink at least 3 liters of water to keep the urine dilute and less acidic.

You should wash the genital area separately from forward behind after a bowel movement.

You should perform sitz baths frequently. Fill a tub of water half, with luke warm water. Put an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine or Povidone-iodine about 50 ml in it and sit in it for 15 to 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a day.

Cranberry juice and disodium citrate sachets should be consumed whenever possible twice or thrice a day.

You can gradually taper off the above when you have had a UTI free interval of a longer duration than you have right now.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.