Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I am a 30 yr old male, been having a burning sensation in my

Customer Question

I am a 30 yr old male, been having a burning sensation in my penis for about 4 days, I went to the doctor and got a urine test, and all is negative, sometimes I feel like these icy hot down there, it hurts kind of burns when I ejaculate also. The burning is on the bottom of shaft and top of scrotum. Please help
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

Have you been sexually active with any risky partners?

Do you have discharge from your penis?

Did they test you for STDs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, just my wife, she is pregnant. We have been together for 7 yrs. no discharge but when I ejaculate I feel kind of a weird sensation inside my urethra, the urine test included ghonarrea, and herpes yes. All negative. He put me on cipro, also noticed I leak a little urine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No rashes, everything looks normal. Just sometimes feel like a burning ( icy hot feeling) on top of scrotum and under my shaft. Last night I didn't drink too much water and had 2 sodas, when I woke up it started burning, only when I peed the first time. Then it was gone, drank more water today and no burning today when I pee
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

Did they actually do a formal urine culture or just a urinalysis in the office?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They sent it to a lab
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

OK. Well your symptoms sound to be consistent with an infection of the urethra called urethritis. This can be due to either bacteria or viruses. Most Viruses cannot be detected by culture. I would recommend you see a urologist for an exam and to consider starting you on a medication such as doxycycline for 14 days to see if this clears up the symptoms. This antibiotic may be better for urethritis. If you have any leakage from the urethra, this needs to be sent for a culture as well. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I went to the doctor again and he gave me naproxen which is not doing anything to me, I noticed that now I have irritation (redness) on urethra like a line coming downward toward bottom of penis, no discharge or pus. Just kind of bothers me when rubbing against boxers, showed me ur analysis and it's all negative, so what's going on?????
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

This most certainly sounds like urethritis. I think they need to repeat your urine culture and all your STD testing and you should be placed on doxycycline to see if this clears this up.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There's no way to clear up in its own?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

If it is due to a virus, it will clear up on its own. But if it is bacterial, then antibiotics are typically needed to clear it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
well i saw the culture myself and its negative for bacteria, how long before clearing if its viral?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

This may take weeks to clear if it is viral. But I would recommend a repeat set of cultures before you let this go for weeks untreated in the event your first cultures were false negative.