Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I had surgery around 8 weeks ago to have 4 cysts removed

Customer Question

I had surgery around 8 weeks ago to have 4 cysts removed from the head of my left epididymis, 1.7, 2, 4.3 and 9mm. I have recently had another ultrasound performed and the result have come back showing there is a 2mm cyst on my left testis and at least 4 cysts now on the body and tail of my left epididymis, 7.2, 9, 9.1 and 9.5mm.
Pre and post operation ultrasounds also state there is a mild degree of bilateral hydrocele and a mild degree of bilateral varicocele.
Should these mild degree issues have been attended to while I was operated on?
My family doctor assures me that the surgeon would have removed all cysts and that they could not have grown back so quickly. My doctor then gave me a referral to consult a specialist urology surgeon but have realised he works at the same hospital I had my operation and believe that he would not be honest, and he would try and cover up his or his staffs work.
Your opinion on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.

No, it is not routine to repair a varicocele or minor hydroceles during the surgery you had. All men have a moderate amount of fluid around the testicles to absorb some of the shock of daily movement. Varicoceles are also very common and not harmful and do not need to be removed.

I can't tell whether the new cysts were present or not. You would have to ask your doctor that. But these are small cysts and do not need to be removed as these type of cysts are common in men also. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The first ultrasound report only stated a cluster on the head of the epididymis. My doctor assures me that the surgeon would have removed all cysts. How long does it take for a cyst that does not exist to reach 9mm as the ones I had 8 weeks ago were removed. I now have 3 x 9mm or greater and one 7mm. They are also now in different locations, body and tail. Could these have been missed by the ultrasound or surgeon as my doctor believes this may be the case.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.
It is most likely that these cysts were not reported on the initial ultrasound and your doctor did not see them during the operation because they were very small. It takes years for a cyst to reach this size even though it is very small. Again, the cysts are very common and they don't need to be removed.