Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone 5mm x 8mm that is right

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone 5mm x 8mm that is right outside my kidney. It was painful the first night I got diagnosed but then was ok for 2 weeks. The Dr said will give it 2-3 weeks to see if it passes on its far nothing til today..all of a sudden I have alot of dull achy pain just like the first night..last week I had an ultrasound and was told it's still in the same place so I'm wondering why all of a sudden is there pain when there hasn't been
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 7 months ago.
Pain only occurs when there is obstruction to the urine flow. The stone is likely shifting position and occasionally relieving the pressure and the pain. If your doctor has not put you on a medication Flomax to help relax the ureter to allow the stone to pass faster, you need to discuss this with them so they can do this. Hope this helps.