Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I seem to be having uti issues with no uti. They ran a test

Customer Question

I seem to be having uti issues with no uti. They ran a test and said no bacteria but there were white blood cells so they sent it to the lab for further testing. They said if it's not a uti it's likely interstitial cystitis. I feel like it's not a uti because I have tried cystex and azo and they don't seem to be helping. Would they help with the interstitial cystitis? What could be wrong?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Can you explain what your symptoms are exactly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It started off with a feeling of urgency and needing to pee several times a day, and a good amount would come out. Now I seem to feel a burning feeling around my urethra it still doesn't hurt anymore than that if I urinate. I have tried azo and utistat and even ibuprofen and nothing has helped with this discomfort. I had a cat scan a couple months ago and they did say it looked like air from a catheter but since I had no catheter that it was an infection, but I had no symptoms at that time
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Interstitial cystitis would be the last thing I would think about in your age and with your symptoms. The most likely cause of your symptoms is bladder spasms due to an overactive bladder. The air with in the bladder is most likely due to an infection. It's possible that they may not have detected it on your urine culture. If you continue to have air in the bladder, you need a special CT scan to see if you have a connection between your intestines and your bladder which can cause your symptoms as well as the air. You will need to see a urologist for this testing. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is this serious if there's a connection between my intestines and bladder. I'm terrified of cancer and they told me they didn't see anything that looked malignant. Could this be caused by something that isn't malignant?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

At your age, it would be extremely unlikely for this to be caused by anything malignant. However, anything is possible. I don't want to scare you but you do need to have a full of valuation to figure out exactly what is going on. The most likely cause of a connection between the intestines in the bladder is a condition such as Crohn's disease of the intestines. This problem can lead to the connection between the bowel and the bladder.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did abuse laxatives for a year could this cause this? I already had a ct scan that looked at everything. Would I need a different kind of ct scan? They didn't seem too concerned about the air in the bladder
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would the ct scan have already found the Crohn's disease? They said they didn't find anything like that
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

No, I don't see how laxative abuse would cause this. The air in the bladder definitely needs to be further investigated if it continues to occur.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the CT scan may have detected problem such as Crohn's disease. But it may also missed it because it is not always detectable on CT scan.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How would I know if I still have air in my bladder? They really didn't seem concerned about it ad said the ct scan would have picked something up if there was something wrong with my intestines. They told me it was definitely an infection. Couldn't these symptoms I'm having be caused by anything else like the spasms?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What kind of cat scan would I need?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm really concerned because I don't seem to have diverticulitis or Crohn's disease so the only option would be cancer right?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

This is almost certainly not cancer. The most likely cause would be an infection that they did not detect. The only way to detect persistent air as to repeat a CT scan. But this is really not necessary unless you continue to have persistent urine infections. The only thing you need to have done is a repeat urine culture and to be started on a course of antibiotics to see if this clears up.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had a urine culture done that they sent for further evaluation to see if I do have a uti. I was confused about everything but the doctors at the hospital said it was definitely a uti 2 months ago. Could I have a uti that azo wouldn't help?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

AZO does not treat UTIs. It only can sometimes help stop the burning associated with a UTI. If you were definitely diagnosed with a UTI in the past, then your symptoms are definitely due to a UTI.