Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I was diagnosed with balanitis about 2 months ago. I was

Customer Question

Hi there,My name is ***** ***** I was diagnosed with balanitis about 2 months ago. I was prescribed clotrimazole to fight it and it did, but it left me with a few side effects. I developed soreness and redness on the head of my penis due to the cream and I became greatly concerned that the balanitis came back, so I contacted a urologist on this site and he informed me that my symptoms were just irritation and that I should use saline solution and hydrocortisone. I've been doing as the doc said and I'm just wondering if I'm healing properly. I just started a new relationship and I'm just wondering if I'm healthy enough for intercourse.Thank you for your time!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

If it hurts you to have sex, you should wait until the pain stops. To treat this balanitis, your doctor needs to prescribe a topical steroid called betamethasone. It will take 6-8 weeks of this medication to help it go away. Hope this helps

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know the photo aren't the best but from the looks of things, is it just inflammation? My doctor said the balanitis looked fungal and that's why she recommended the clotrimazole. Does anything look serious enough for me to head to a doctor and be prescribed betamethasone? I don't have any symptoms like the ones I had when I originally had the balanitis.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If you need clearer photos please let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dude can you answer me?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Yes. This looks like balanoposthitis which is inflammation of the head and the foreskin. You definitely need to be prescribed betamethasone to treat this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright thank you doctor! And I assume that this can be passed on to a female either orally or intercourse?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

No, this is not a sexually transmitted disease. But you should have it treated before you have sex to prevent yourself from having pain and tearing the skin from the inflammation