Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have Epididymo-orchitis as a consequence of UtI, I suffer

Customer Question

Hello there, I have Epididymo-orchitis as a consequence of UtI, I suffer kidney disease and have a baggy bladder and I have to self catheterise to expekk urine, I have been to hospital 3 times and this time with IV antibiotic the swelling has begun to reduce however since I left hospital, lying down for 4 days. | have been walking around and the swelling has increased but no pain. We had ultrasound and there was no sign of an abscess .
Does gravity play arole and how long beore the swelling swelling go down. Also id there any other way of cleaning the bladder of bacteria other than antibiotics.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Gravity only plays a minor role in the swelling. The swelling is related to the underlying condition, but once the swelling has occurred, then gravity will tend to cause the swelling to be greater in the lower portion of the anatomic space in which there is the swelling.

Eliminating bacteria that are already present and causing an infection is typically done with antibiotics. However, for someone with chronic or recurrent UTIs, there are some other interventions that can be used to try to prevent the bacteria from causing infection. Drinking plenty of fluids may help, and there has been much use of cranberry juice. There also is a supplement, D-mannose, that may help prevent recurrent UTIs.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.