Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Gross hematuria after prostate surgery

Customer Question

gross hematuria after prostate surgery
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

What type of prostate surgery was it? A TURP? How long ago? Can you urinate? Are you passing blood clots?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
transurethral; early January; no problem urinating; no clots - just a few to several drops of fresh blood after normal-looking urination. BTW I'm a retired family MD.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, got any answers?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, I can't call you as I am currently out of the county. This pattern of bleeding you describe sounds to be coming from the bladder near the prostate or the prostate itself. You need to see your urologist to consider doing cystoscopy to figure out exactly where this is coming from. It's inlikely to be due to a bladder tumor, but this needs to be excluded as well (likely would have been seen during surgery last time). If this is prostatic bleeding, they may just need to do a little cautery to the open vessels. Hope this helps.