Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  General Physician, PGCSD
6740150

Constant dull pain in the middle of the chest

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 9 months ago.

For how long you have this problem?

Is pain localized or radiating to arm?

Shortness of breath?

Do you have nausea?

Does pain become severe with deep breath?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No nausea or arm pain. Chest pain feels like I swallowed a big chunk of food and it stuck or scratched me. Pain is not sharp, but constant, has been over 3 weeks. No notisable difference from different food I eat.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also no changes from deep breath. I can go for a 10 miles run with no issues. However it doesn't go away. Tried anti-acid Otc medication with no improvement. No upset stomach either.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 9 months ago.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

I would make you clear that it is not related with acid reflux disease. If you have this condition, then antacid would have been useful.

In your case, this could be related with Costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that cause the dull chest pains inside the chest wall. This would cause dull pain in middle of chest. Also such pain would not be affected with meals.

To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are-
-Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.
-Antidepressants, specifically tricyclic antidepressants, are very helpful.
-Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.

Also your doctor can advise for Chest X-ray. It is not related with heart disease or any other serious issue. No need to get panic.

I would recommend you to consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business