Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Is this really a dr

Customer Question

Is this really a dr
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Yes. I am a board certified practicing urologist in the USA. How can I help you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you there
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am 58 yr old man
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Can you clarify what your question is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My psa has steadily increased each year from 2.5 to 3.5 to 4.0 to now 4.7I went yesterday to urologist he recommended getting a biopsy because I am relatively young to have 4.7 psa and because of its continually riseHe said its at least a 50 % chance I have prostate cancer !Your thoughts ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello ?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Does you have any first degree relatives with a history of prostate cancer? Do you know what your percent free PSA is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He didn't take percent free psa or that other test phi?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it as high a chance as he says
He is a highly recommended 78 yr old urologist from Harvard medical school
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Sorry for the delayed response as I just got out of the operating room. I can't tell what exact percent chance you have of having prostate cancer. This needs to be determined based on your prostate examination as well as your free percent PSA level. But based on the fact that your PSA is about 4.0, you do have at least a 40 to 50% chance of having prostate cancer. Therefore, I would recommend that you have a prostate biopsy done to rule out the presence of prostate cancer. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you but not sure you read my situationmy psa is now 4.7 was 4.0 a year agobefore a biopsy would it behoove me to have a ps2 ,free psa and phi tests as well ?also I pee about 3 times per night can that be from and enlarged prostate or cancer
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Yes. I did understand your situation and PSA history. The fact that your PSA is above the threshold of 4.0 would require that you have a biopsy done to rule out the presence of prostate cancer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What about phi and free psa and ps2 test
Before a biopsy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I read phi test 3 times as accurate as just a psa
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What about the peeing at night
Can that be bph?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

The urinating at night can be due to prostate enlargement. None of those tests you mentioned will help at this point as your PSA is already elevated. Because of this fact alone, you should undergo the prostate biopsy to rule out the presence of prostate cancer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if the phi and free psa tests came back normal I would still need a biopsy ?Are biopsys painful ? Dangerous? Do I need to be put out ? I am nervous type
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, even if you had all the other adjunct of tests that can be used to evaluate for prostate cancer, you still need a prostate biopsy because of your elevated PSA. The PSA about 4.0 trumps all other test results. You can request this biopsy to be done in the operating room with some sedation. The main risks are bleeding and infection which are minimal risks. They occur anywhere from 1 to 5% of the time. Hope this helps and please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Last question I read that biopsy is only accurate about 75 percent of time and 25 percent of time it misses the cancer ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you familiar with the phi test ?
I read its 3 times more accurate than the psa? Last oneDo you agree since I'm only 58 that the chance I have cancer goes up because of my steadily elevated psaSo is it over 40 to 50 percent then ?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Again, your chances of cancer or based upon your PSA level as well as your prostate examination. I only know your PSA level. I am familiar with the PHI test. It does not add any additional information in your scenario. We already know that you need a biopsy based on your elevated PSA. The biopsy is not 100% accurate. We are only sampling 12 to 14 areas in the prostate cancer can certainly be missed. This is why many places are going to MRI guided biopsy is to target any suspicious area seen on the MRI.