Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

A month ago i started having itching in my urethra and then

Customer Question

hello a month ago i started having itching in my urethra and then it extended to the anus , i started having some discharge on my penis , i went to the doctor an after some blood test and urine sample , my results came all negative , he prescribed any way (Ciprofloxacin hcl 500mg , and doxycycline ) , after taking it the symtoms got a little better but still there , i went ot another doctor ,and said that i might have trichomonas , but it is not easily tested in men , that my girlfriend should get tested and if its positive i have that . any thoughts?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

This sounds like you may have prostatitis. How long did you take the cipro for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
7 days and for some reason my tendon in my leg , after the 7 days that the doctor prescribed the pain in the leg was gone , anyway , what is prostatitis? what about the trichomona?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Trichomonas is possible but can only be diagnosed by looking at any discharge under the microscope. Prostatitis is a prostate infection that can be caused by bacteria. 7 days is not long enough of an antibiotic course to treat prostatitis. You need a 4-6 week course of an antibiotic. Your doctor should consider switching you to doxycycline if you couldn't tolerate cipro

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for that but , how the doctor can find out if i have porstatitis? , and he gave me both (Ciprofloxacin hcl 500mg , and doxycycline ) , is it good to test my girlfriend from trichomonas? and if i have prostatitis can she have it? because its a bateria? , what do you suggest i do?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Your doctor needs to do a prostate exam and send any fluid that comes out of the urethrha for a culture. Your girlfriend should be tested for all STDs as well. She cannot get prostatitis because women do not have prostates. But she can have bacteria in the vagina that she can spread to you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
one more question doctor , the doctor check my anus , and he , i guess , checked the rectal he put a finger in my anus and he asked me if it hurt ? anyway i dont think it hurt but it was uncomfortable , what does he check there? when he does that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

That was the prostate exam to see if you had signs of prostatitis. I can't tell what he felt. You need to ask your doctor