Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

After huge coughing spell due to upper respiratory cold I

Customer Question

After huge coughing spell due to upper respiratory cold I noticed a severe pain in my mid to lower back. The next time I urinated, it was very painful mainly at the tip of my penis and I saw a small amount of blood. That was 2 days ago and every time I urinate it is the same as I just explained
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Have you ever passed a kidney stone before?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, Not to my knowledge. Actually, I was urinating when I had the coughing spell. Could I have injured something internally?The reason I am asking is, prior to that, there had been no pain or blood when urinating. I feel better now and those symtoms appear to have subsided. I would like to know, if it was a kidney stone, why am I no longer in pain? I am not aware of an occurance of any changes
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Kidney stones only cause pain when they cause blockage. It's possible that you may have jarred the stone loose which may lead to the bleeding and the pain. The still may have been reposition itself where it's no longer causing blockage. This is why you need to have a CT scan done to evaluate for this as it is the only way to figure out what caused your symptoms. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it was a kidney stone and it is reposiioned, is this detrimental or a danger to my health? What kind of diet including liquids is sufficient to avoid future kidney stones? Is there a natural way to dissolve kidney stones? I have no insurance and I know a specialist as well as a CT Scan are beyond my financial means at this time
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Dancers to your question all depend on the size of the kidney stone and the only way to figure this out is with a CT scan. A stone that is not causing pain is likely not a danger to you or your kidney. However, that stone will likely become larger overtime. That being said, we don't even know if we are dealing with a stone as the cause of your problems. This is why the CT scan is necessary. The best thing you can do to prevent kidney stones is to drink plenty of water. You should be drinking enough water so that you are making at least 2 L of urine per day or have no color to your urine. There's no way to determine what you need to do to adjust your diet until the stone composition is known. This is determined by removing the stone and sending it to the lab. But all of these are hypothetical treatments for a problem that you may or may not even have.