Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

A recent UA came back showing WBCs (5-10/hpf), RBCs (greater

Customer Question

Hello. A recent UA came back showing WBCs (5-10/hpf), RBCs (greater than 50), squam epith calls (0-5/lpf) and mucus present. The specimen was sent out to be cultured and no infection was present. My doctor is now referring me to a urologist, but I'm very nervous. What could be causing this? I'm 38 years old, in good health and just had a baby seven months ago. I do have hashimotos/hypothyroidism and have had some ongoing glucose issues during my pregnancies (which is strange since I'm slim).
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Are you having any utinary symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. No symptoms of anything. I have occasional pelvic and back pain, but nothing serious.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Ok. You should definitely not worry about this being anything bad. In fact, it appears to me that you just have a contaminated urine specimen as shown by the squamous epithelial cells in the urine. This indicated that the urine hit your skin before making it to the cup and it makes all the results invalid. Your doctor should recheck the urine specimen with a properly collected specimen before referring you to a urologist. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had the same result from two UA tests, taken about 72 hours apart. The RBCs went up in the second sample. Seems strange that both samples would be contaminated. Could something else be going on?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Were there epithelial cells present in the second sample?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they were in both samples.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Then this means that both samples were contaminated by your skin. You need to provide a sample until you get no more squamous cells in the sample and this would indicate a properly collected specimen