Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Are the nitrofurantion monohyd macro 100mg only to be taken

Customer Question

Are the nitrofurantion monohyd macro 100mg only to be taken after intercourse? Are these pills also to be taken unrelating to sexual intercourse?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

This antibiotic can be used to treat a urine infection that may occur related to sexual activity. Is this what your question is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no. On the label it says take one capsule daily by mouth after sexual intercourse. Are there no other instances where I should be taking these. Do these pills relate only to sexual intercourse?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

You only take it if you feel like you have a urine infection after sex. It may also sometimes be used to treat urine infections at other times, but a urine culture should be done first to determine what the bacteria is to see if this the appropriate antibiotic for the infection. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the specific antibiotic I have already. So these capsules don't only have to be taken for sexually occurring UTIs, but can also be taken for any kind of occurring uti such as random or hygienic occurrences? The label is misleading I'm guessing?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.

Those antibiotics may or may not work for random UTIs. It is only good for uncomplicated urine infections. This is why a urine culture may be needed to see if this antibiotic will work or not.