Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

My left testicle has retracted up into my groin, I had

Customer Question

My left testicle has retracted up into my groin, I had extreme constipation an was straining all my muscles severley this morning to pass my bowel, few hours later after I got out of the shower I noticed that it fely as though I basicly had one testicle. I have manually adjusted to try and allow it to sit back in the scrotom but a couple minutes later it totally retracts into groin. A urologist is the correct Dr. to see for this issue? How long would it take to correct itself if it was going to?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. Yes, a urologist is the best specialist to see you for your testicular problem. You have a problem called a retractile testicle. This comes about when the sac of muscle holding the testicle becomes hyperactive for a variety of reasons, and has muscular spasm causing the testicle to retract back into the groin. Often this comes from previous inguinal hernia surgery (?), but there are other reasons as well like testicular torsion where the testicle has twisted and that shortens the distance of the spermatic cord that connects to the testicle, or epidydymitis where there is an inflammation of the cord, or testicular cancer within the testicle, so that all has to be checked out. How long it takes to correct this issue depends on the exact cause of course. There is a surgery, orchiopexy, that can be done to make the testicle stay in the relaxed position in the scrotum. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank