Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology. 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had physical last week and they did blood work. My pas

Customer Question

I had physical last week and they did blood work. My pas came back 6.8 with a recommendation to see a urologist. I have had false pas readings in the past. What does the 6.8 mean?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

PSA is nowadays age specific and 6.5 is considered normal for anyone in their 70's. 6.8 is high, in such cases the primary is supposed to refer the patient for a detailed examination and investigation to a urologist to rule out prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer can occur in both normal PSA and deranged PSA patients, so an ultrasound and a digital rectal examination by an experienced person is mandatory and if still in doubt a biopsy is required.

False positive PSA tests are fairly common, digital rectal exam before the test, any trauma to the prostate or anal canal, evem constipation, smoking, drinking alcohol etc can all cause the PSA to be raised.

25 percent of men who have raised PSA turn out to have prostate cancer on biopsy. So, see your Urologist for peace of mind.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best.