Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 84 yr old male with some urinary leakage. Am

Customer Question

I am a 84 yr old male with some urinary leakage. Am considering some therapy to increase my pelvic floor muscle strength, but do not want to do anything that might increase my chances of urinary retention. ( Prefer to leak, as opposed to retain). Would the exercises tend to increase my risk of retention?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 10 months ago.

Absolutely not. Doing exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor in the urinary sphincter will in no way increase your chances of going into urinary retention or cause any problems with difficulty emptying the bladder. I would highly recommend that your doctor refer you to a pelvic floor physical therapist who specializes in teaching you these types of exercises so they can teach you had to do them properly. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.