Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have recently gotten my testosterone levels checked due to

Customer Question

I have recently gotten my testosterone levels checked due to alot of symptoms that looked like low testosterone. I am convinced my symptoms are due to low testosterone although my doctor is saying my level (358 ng/dl) is "normal". Although I have done some research and alot of websites and charts are stating my levels are that of an older man. Also I feel he is wrong also because he does not know what my body may have naturally had before, maybe I have recently dropped a great amount of testosterone which has led me to these symptoms? They are just assuming that my levels should be that because the it fits in the low range of the "normal range". If you agree that my levels are low, is it possible to receive a prescription for something to raise my levels? I feel like I am at a dead end, I am only 24 years old.
Category: Urology
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

Your level is within the normal limit. You could have another cause. What are your symptoms? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Does anything make it better or worse? When did they start? is it constituent? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't understand how you can say I'm in the normal range? Every doctor I've spoken to keeps saying that.. But how do you know that it is normal for me? Maybe I was at high 700 or 800 ng/dl and have just recently dropped down to my current level 358 ng/dl and am suffering from symptoms because of it. I am getting very impatient with these same answers that have no clear evidence of being right. My symptoms are no energy, lack of motivation, very irritable, no sexual desire, no morning erections, the list goes on. I am 5 ' 10" tall. Around 178 pounds, in good shape, no dramatic weight change. I have been suffering from soreness and weakness of energy for a long time, but ignored it thinking it was puberty, but just recently starting with new symptoms of no morning erections, no sexual desire. Not aware of anything that would have triggered it. No medical problems, no surgeries, no medications, no family history or this or anything serious.

What time was the blood for testosterone taken? Between 8 am and 10 am? How many times was your testosterone measured?